Sunday 18 April 2010

Filming day disasters

We have planned to film during the second week of the October half term, due to the actors we are only able to film on one day, where everyone was available, so we were going to take the full day, get it done and then have it all ready to digitise in the next lesson.
With everything being so planned out I felt fine about going on holiday for the first week and I was to get back 1 day before the day of filming, this was all going very smoothly until I got home and found out that my mum had decided to re decorate and re wallpaper the majority of the walls on the spare of the moment decision. So with not set, I quickly racked my brains to think of somewhere that was close and that the owner wouldn’t mind us using their house for a day, I came up with my grandma’s house, she was very willing and lovely about it. So with that issue sorted I went to sleep. The next morning I woke up in a panic, as I hadn’t managed to find out if either of the girls picked up all the equipment we ordered for filming whilst I had been away, after phoning round found they had both forgotten, so with no equipment, a recent change of set, I phoned up grace to tell her the changes, who then decided she could help after all as she was busy, so with no actress, a new set and no equipment I decided to call the rest of my group to see if they had any ideas on what we should do, eventually I realised that we needed to get hold of one f the teachers at the school to be able to get the equipment, although Mr Van Straten was away in France, I did manage to get hold of Mr Wellington who absolutely saved the day by coming into school and lending us the equipment, which we had planned to be; 1 HD camcorder, a tri pod, a charging cable, although someone had taken the HD camera we had booked, hence we had to use a normal one, that we didn’t realise till later on was broken and wouldn’t hold a charge. Whilst I was in school getting the equipments I received a text from Jerome informing me that he would no longer be able to be in the video, with only a few hours until we started filming, this was becoming a bit of a problem. As soon as I got home with the equipment, I called the rest of the group to let them know I had fixed that problem, and then got them all phoning round to see who else we could find at such short notice to be in our music video. Eventually I managed to get hold of my friend Tom, who agreed he would shoot the video, although he had a driving lesson a 5 so we could only go until them, but the bride of a pizza worked a treat. By this time I realised that Eammon was due to arrive any minuet, so after phoning about 20 girls I eventually begged by sister, Harriet to be in the video, she desperately didn’t want to do it as she is quite shy, but she agreed as she could see how much I was struggling. Just as I sorted that problem Eammon arrived, and after explaining the problems of the day and showing him the plans for the rest of the day, he pointed out that it was unlikely for the photo’s to burn naturally. So with this new conundrum I jumped Eammon and Harriet in the car to go and buy some mentholated spirit to soak the photos in so they would burn. Once I got back to the house it was only a short time until Charlotte arrived, and after filling her in on all the disaster of the morning, we went to pick up Tom and head to my grandma’s house, as Bobbi wasn’t there yet.
When Bobbi arrived I left her and Charlotte at my grandma’s house with Tom to help change the house around, to help create the appropriate mise en scene for the video, we have decided this should represent a feeling of a young couple that the audience could relate to, hence nothing to expensive and quite modern décor. For instance this included moving expensive paintings and old fashioned items, such as statues and pillows.
I then went to take photos of Harriet and Eammon as a happy couple, so we had photo’s to burn at the end, this went well and I made a point of buying a pumpkin so they would have something to anchor them in a time frame, as well as some summer shots in the garden, and some with falling levels to give the impression that time was passing.
When I get back to the house Bobbi and Charlotte have done a fab job of creating the mise en scene, so we start to film, the first shot we filmed was Harriet walking out of the bedroom and saying goodbye to Eammon. We then decided to film Harriet coming out of the house and walking up the drive, the first few times we did this Tom and Bobbi where inside, but the next time we did it they had come out to join us, and as Harriet closed the door behind her, we all had this sinking feeling, as we knew the key had been locked inside.
Unfortunately when I tried to call my grandma to see if she had a spare key any where I found out she was in the cinema, so she couldn’t answer, so upon calling my mum and uncle to see if they had a spare key to my grandma’s house, I ended up having to get the key of my uncle in Aylesbury to be able to get into the house again. (During this time we got Tom his Pizza)
Once we managed to get back into the house, we decided we needed to change the order of the shots as it was starting to get dark and Tom had to leave me about an hour, so we prioritized the shots with tom in and managed to do them first.

This included shots like the changing person scene on the sofa, we set the camera up in a set angle for this shot and didn’t move it at all, but simply changed the actors around, and this allowed us to create the effect of a jump between the boyfriends.
Some of shots we shot up stairs in the morning showed an orange tint we worked out this was because the general colour on the walls as either orange or gold, warm colours so we sorted this issue out during editing, we used different filters and cooled down the colour contrast to give the same appearance as the down stairs shots. When filming we used mainly two shots, or mid shots, which gave the audience a feeling of inclusion, although we did make sure to include high angle shots to show vulnerability during the end scene, but then show an empowering shot of Eammon walking away to highlight the fact that he is left with the power, this brakes
Many pre existing media conations, but is an effective and individual end to our particular story.
Then just as tom needed to go, we managed to fill the rest of Eammon's indoor shots, then we needed to film the outside shot of the photo’s bringing, there were two problems with this; 1) the camera had no charge and would only last for about 2 mins without being plugged in. 2) we had no light. This is when Charlotte came up with the cleverest suggestion in the world, to drive my car down and use the car lights to provide light, and just be very productive with our filming to get it done in two mins. So we managed to do this, at the very split second the camera cut out we managed to get our final shot.
Finally we had finished filming!!! So all that was left to do was to clear up the house, tidy the equipment away and everyone went home and dropped Eammon home then went home myself.

Exhausting day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment